Breast augmentation is a cosmetic surgery that can enhance the size of your breasts through the use of implants placed underneath the breast tissue or the chest muscles. There are several reasons why women opt to undergo this process such as to combat the effects of ageing, or to restore the shape of their body following pregnancy and nursing, or after a significant weight loss.
Regardless of their reason though, it can be deemed that they have a common goal, and that is to boost their self-esteem or feel more confident with their body. In doing so, they feel more empowered. If you are considering going under the knife for a breast augmentation procedure, below are some of the facts that you need to know.
Facts about breast augmentation:
- Every surgery is different, with the results of the procedure varying depending on numerous factors.
- Drain tubes may be necessary for re-operations, but not in first time procedures.
- There is a greater chance for larger breast implants to sag as you get older.
- Implants require maintenance.
- Regardless of whether the implant is silicone or saline, there will still be a risk of rupture, but this chance is significantly small, almost negligible.
- Breast augmentation is not the proper procedure for the sagging of your breasts, but it is the perfect surgery to increase the size of your breasts.
- The scar you get from the procedure would be the least of your concerns afterwards, regardless of its placement.
- You still can breastfeed after an augmentation procedure.
- Women below the age of 22 are strongly discouraged to undergo the procedure.
- The financial cost of the procedure is not one time because even the replacement of your implants will add to your costs.
Some of the most common risks which can be associated with breast augmentation include breast pain, as well as infections. You may also have noticeable changes in your nipple and have a different breast sensation. The scar tissue that you acquire after the procedure may also distort the shape of your breast implant.
Difference Between Breast Augmentation and Breast Lift
Breast augmentation is a procedure that concentrates on the size and the shape of your breasts. On the other hand, a breast enhancement procedure that focuses on the position of your breasts is referred to as breast lift. Both can improve the appearance of your breasts but you need to choose the proper procedure depending on your needs. Nevertheless, there are instances wherein both procedures are performed in conjunction to generate better results.
The key is in choosing your surgeon wisely. As much as possible, opt for a reputable cosmetic surgeon who is already seasoned in performing these procedures. Also, make sure to follow all their instructions for you to recover faster after the surgery.
To wrap things up, make sure that you are aware of the facts related to breast augmentation before you go under the knife for it. Also exert the extra effort to research the risks associated with it, as well as the other procedures that you can consider. The key is in seeking the advice of a seasoned medical practitioner for you to have the proper guidance.